Here are some of the top tech news headlines for today, July 17, 2023:
- Nothing Phone 2 gets its first update with several camera improvements and design-related features. The update also includes a new Always-on Display mode and a few bug fixes.
- Google contract workers training ChatGPT rival Bard say they are underpaid and overworked. The workers say they are paid as little as $13 per hour and are expected to work long hours, often without breaks.
- Kerala man loses Rs 40,000 in AI-based Deepfake WhatsApp fraud. The scammers used AI-based deepfake technology to create a fake video of the victim’s friend, asking for money.
- Microsoft signs agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation. The deal ensures that the popular Call of Duty franchise will continue to be available on PlayStation consoles for the foreseeable future.
- US FTC investigating ChatGPT creator OpenAI over consumer protection issues. The FTC is reportedly investigating whether OpenAI’s chatbot, ChatGPT, is violating consumer protection laws by making false or misleading claims about its capabilities.